06 May 2012

Super Moon!

I went out to shoot the moon tonight, because it was a "supermoon" -- the closest full moon we get each year as the moon reaches its perigee -- and it was very clear tonight from Vancouver. I shot this with my 500mm Tamron f/8 SP macro lens and a 1.6x extender, and the lens didn't even attach properly to my camera because it was an old mount for my old Yashica. I haven't used it ever with my 5D yet, and that's why. But it was worth trying tonight anyway, and it worked. I just held it up to the camera body and shot. I shot it at ISO 200 and 1/200 sec. I don't know the f-stop (the camera said f/0, probably because I didn't have the lens mounted so it couldn't communicate with the lens). I used a tripod and self-timer to minimize shake. I was actually able to leave the lens kind of "hanging" off the camera body since the body was aimed up towards the moon and gravity held the lens on with no light leaking in. That was lucky, as it was impossible for me to hold the lens still enough with my hand at that shutter speed and focal length.

3 comments:

Rosie Perera said...

More cool supermoon photos posted by Huffington Post readers: Slide Show

armpitstalker said...

i thought your comment about not having the matching mount - lens & camera - was interesting. the fact that it worked anyway, and that gravity, a key force between earth & moon, was the connecting cable, as it were.

armpitstalker said...

I found your comment interesting --about the camera and lens. Gravity, a primary force when you're talking about moon and earth, enabled the 'mount' or 'munt'
**
i woke at 330a.m. at the cottage porch, to see moon setting over the lake, melon, shaped full moon, melon-colored, dripping its little melon munts all the way to the eatern shore. bob & I were sleeping on the porch, went out to the dock to watch the setting moon, until clouds came to take a huge bite of it, and rain blew from the western shore. Took about 30 seconds to reach us, took nibbles out of our heels as we scurried back inside.

 

Photography Directory by PhotoLinks